Wednesday, December 07, 2005

My 110th "I HATE France" Day

Well, I don't know if I have been here for 110 days or not, but I can assure you, it feels like much more right now. I really hate France today. Some days it just hits me harder than others; However, today I think it might be the combination of almost being hit last night while running, this terrible cold I have decided to catch, staying up until 2 A.M. for the last 2 nights making tests, French class and French people in general. So I apologize for the ranting that is coming. Just consider it artistic license. However, the following are some of my major complaints about this lovely country.

First and foremost, why I hate French people: the majority of them never even remotely make any attempt to understand me when I speak French. I can say a perfectly grammatically correct sentence in French and, if I do not say it with the right accent, forget it. Most people will not even attempt to help or to understand. Whereas in the U.S., we go out of our way to understand people when they speak English, no matter what the accent. Yes, we may speak louder and slower, but we at least try to help.

Second, they are constantly touching each other. In the metro, in the hallways, on the street, at the supermarket, in the bathroom; they cannot seem to keep their hands off each other. I do not need to see 45 year olds making out on the train or caressing each other in the library. I expect that type of behavior from kids, I don't like it, but I know it is part of growing up. However, I can live the rest of my life without sitting next to middle-aged folks undoing each other's clothes in public. Save it for the house, ladies and gentlemen! There is a certain dignity in social reservations.

Third, of all the things the French could have imported from the U.S., things like Wal-Mart, democracy and soap, the two most popular items are McDonald's and Rap music. Nothing makes me prouder than walking by a group of teenage boys who are rapping along with Snopp Dogg and eating a Big Mac. Why, oh why, when the U.S. has so many great things to offer, would the French only choose to like crap. Well, I think I know the answer.

Anyway, I must say, I am in a horrible mood today and it seems like everyone is going out of their way to irritate me, so I might be a little biased.

No comments: