Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I Am Tired and It Is Only Tuesday

OH. MY. GOD. Classes started this week and I have 400 students. 400! Not only that, but my schedule has been changed 3 times since last Friday. I went from teaching 16 classes in two days to teaching 13 classes in 3 days. Although I am teaching less classes, I am really bitter about the new schedule because it means I can’t work an extra day at my other job; not only will I have to spend about 40 euros more a month on travel and waste an extra day at the university, I will also lose out on teaching a whole day at my second job! And to top it all off, I teach the same course 13 times. I get to say the same thing 13 times a week. Do you know how boring that is? Yikes, but I only have ten more weeks of class and if you forget about the two days I am giving tests, that makes 8 weeks I have to teach. It’s not so bad when I think of it that way. I guess I shouldn’t complain, but being positive goes against my nature.

I finally broke down and bought a gym membership. I paid about 3 times the amount I would pay in the States and the gym is about 1/8 of the size of my old gym, but I don’t care! I have missed the gym so much this year. I just couldn’t go another month without a gym. I had no idea how much I liked going to the gym. Fair enough, I used to go twice a day, but I just thought it was because I had nothing to do, but I want to go twice a day here as well. My gym doesn’t open until 7:30, so I doubt I will be going twice a day expect on Saturdays and Sundays. I am so American!

8 comments:

hellomelissa said...

i don't know what i'd do without the gym either! even if i don't go all that often sometimes, it's like the promise of sanity so close by. right now i'm getting there 2-4 times a week and i feel almost human again after slacking all summer.

Pardon My French said...

Your post made me laugh, Angela. Sorry about the university schedule, but at least you save a ton of planning time! In Japan I had to repeat the same classes about 10 times each week so the good thing was by the end, I had mastered it even if it was completely boring.

Good for you for signing up for a gym. At my most motivated in the US I went to Curves 3 times a week, and that's only because I was determined to fit in my wedding dress. Twice a day? No way in Hades. Enjoy! You should try to open your own business as a personal trainer/English consultant now that you're in Paris. :)

Open Roads Mama said...

ouch, that does sound like a busy schedule! Hope a visit to the gym puts you in good mood each day after classes! :-)

Elizabeth Tarney said...

At least it will all be over in 10 weeks!

Anonymous said...

Yes, doing the same class 13 times sounds really, really boring. But good point pardon my french made about saving on the planning time.

Lotus Reads said...

Thrilled to bits to see a post from you, Angela! Only 8 weeks to go, you can do it! And lol @ the gym addiction - I wish I could learn to love the gym more, I could certainly use an exercise regimen - I do like to dance, however, so I try to get my exercise that way. You sound really busy, but that's a good thing, no?

Unknown said...

I signed up for the gym in switz and didn't like it. IT was just too unlike my gym in the states. spoiled I guess...

I hope the schedule isn't all too bad! But yes only 8 weeks! At least you know your future, unlike me!

Unknown said...

hellomelissa-i feel so much better when i go to the gym!

pardon-how did you do it? i just can't say the same thing that many times a week and not feel like pulling out all my hair!

ola-the gym does help.

diamond-i have even less classes to go now!

julie-and now i have more time to cook!

lotus-yes, being busy is a very good thing for me!

expat-i am beginning to think nobody does gyms quite like americans. i hope things are going better for you this week!