Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Louvre





Of course if you come to Paris, you simply must go to the Louvre. I have been a few times, but not necessarily because I like it. I think a person needs about 6 visits to see everything. I find the Louvre incredibly impersonal, massive, badly organized and too busy. BUT, there are many, many fantastic, historic, magnificent works of art located in the palace. I do love looking at the Mona Lisa and the crowned jewels of France (although a mean French man threatened to take my camera away for taking a picture of the entrance). However, I think my favorite thing is the statue of Winged Victory of Samothrace. She is amazing! I love her presence, chest out, wings back, she really epitomizes victory in my mind. Located in one of the major entrances, you can't miss her. Walking up to her, climbing a massive staircase after viewing her through a long hall which seems to suck the air out of the room, makes the visitor anticipate the multitude of great artifacts located within. The placement is pure genius!

No comments: